Monday, October 26, 2009

Natural History

Natural History
The spider, dropping down from twig,
Unfolds a plan of her devising,
A thin premeditated rig
To use in rising.

And all that journey down through space,
In cool descent and loyal hearted,
She spins a ladder to the place
From where she started.

Thus I, gone forth as spiders do
In spider's web a truth discerning,
Attach one silken thread to you
For my returning.

-E. B. White
Written to his wife Katherine from a hotel room.


Long before he wrote Charlotte's Web , E. B. White wrote this poem as a love note to his wife. It is this type of inspiration that has me making beaded spiders. Not that I am particularly fond of spiders. Rather, I am fond of how something many find terrifying, can be looked at as beautiful and romantic.



I've made many spiders, including one specifically for the poem above. This little pretty, "Frostbite", is one of my most recent. She is quite elegant and hardly tame.

No comments:

Post a Comment